Friday, December 28, 2012

The Holiday (2006)


Dir: Nancy Myers
Writer: Nancy Myers
Starring: Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Cameron Diaz, Jack Black

Over the holiday break back at home, I picked The Holiday to watch because I hadn't seen it in a while, and hey, it has to do with Christmas...sometimes. My husband reminded me of the first time we watched the movie, which was about a month into our relationship. The next day he left for tour for the first time, and also told me he loved me for the first time. I think that's why he likes the movie. (Plus, he gifted me the DVD several Christmases ago.)

I like it for that reason, too, but I also just enjoy a good rom-com with the likes of Kate Winslet. Her character is not as pathetic and amazing as Bridget Jones, but she'll do. The rest of the cast holds their own, though Diaz can be grating and Black isn't that believable as a love interest, but the light comedy does the feel-good trick.

When I saw This is 40 this weekend, there was a line in the movie about widowers and how everyone loves a widower more than a single guy or divorced guy. I immediately thought of Jude Law's character in this movie (perhaps it signaled my DVD choice the next afternoon). The characters are all extremely 'set up,' as is the house-swapping plot, but suspending my disbelief is one of my favorite things to do. As the Beach Boys put it, wouldn't it be nice?

The Best: Winslet. I love when she's on screen and when the focus is her character. I do wish she'd been given a love interest she had more chemistry with (oh would that Leonardo DiCaprio even considered doing a rom-com!), but she's still dazzling.


Fact: Dustin Hoffman had been driving by the Blockbuster used in the movie when he saw all the cameras inside. He knew the director, Myers, and they filmed his cameo on the spot, which made the final cut of the film.

Rating: ******* (7 out of 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment