Thursday, February 9, 2012

Rango (2011)


Dir: Gore Verbinski
Writers: John Logan, Gore Verbinski, John Ward Byrkit
Starring: Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, Timothy Olyphant

What a strange, enjoyable film! Last year when I saw the previews, I was like, oh that looks like it'll probably be an interesting children's movie. However, upon my husband's insistence that I watch the movie--he even went out and bought the blu-ray DVD to make me--I did. He had seen the movie on a flight last year, and as he is a lover of Westerns, he thought this captured the fun of a Western in an animated movie. Also, who doesn't love Johnny Depp?

But here was my first reaction upon completion of the movie: wow, that is NOT a movie for children. Directed by Gore Verbinski (The Ring, Pirates of the Carribean), the tale of Rango the lizard starts out with a scene that would never keep a child's attention: a monologue. And in this monologue, most of Depp's career roles have been dusted off for the tongue-in-cheekness, and there's even an appearance at some point in the movie by Hunter S. Thompson and his lawyer. Yeah, not exactly kids stuff.

Which is probably why this movie, while making a lot of money, did not resonate well with audiences. You have to be adult-minded and enjoy animation (which is really wonderful, by the way). This is not The Incredibles or Wall-E, which are children's movies with enough jokes to fly over kids' heads to hit the parents with enjoyment. Nope. The story moves like a Western, and while comedic, there are storylines you have to piece together along with our hero. It requires a lot of comprehension skills. That said, the character of Rango and his assimilation in the town of Dirt are endearing and I enjoyed it though there were some parts that felt a little long.

Good job, husband.

The Best: The animation was superb! And I also have to say that I giggled every time the little owl mariachi band narrated the story, and about how the hero was obviously going to die the whole way through.



Fact: The Mayor's suspenders, hat, shirt, and voice is an homage to Noah Cross, the character John Huston portrayed in the movie Chinatown. Chinatown's plot also revolved around a mystery about stolen water. (Oddly, I don't own Chinatown though I would consider it one of my favorite movies. Maybe I should remedy that.)

Rating: ******** (8 out of 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment